www.ingilizcem.org > Ingilizce Gramer
Reported Speech’de Say ve Tell Kullanımı
Eğer bir olayı bir kişiye rapor ediyorsak, tell kullanırız. (me, her, etc)
- Ashley told me that you were ill. (not ‘Ashley said me’)
- What did you tell the police? (not ‘say the police’)
- She told me she was going to be late.
- ‘It’s too late,’ she told me.
tell, soru cümlesinden önce kullanılmaz:
- He told me, ‘Have we met before?’ kullanımı yanlıştır!
Diğer durumlarda say kullanırız. say’den sonra me, her gelmez.
- Ashley said that you were ill. (not ‘Ashley told that...’)
- What did you said?
- ‘It’s too late,’ she said.
Say kullanmak istiyorsak; to me, to her, to us şeklinde kullanırız:
- ‘I don’t like them very much,’ she said to me quietly.
- Why did he say that to you?
tell fiilinin kullanıldığı ve ismin hallerini almış zamirlerle (me, you her, us, him) kullanılmadığı bazı durumlar da vardır:
tell the truth
tell a lie
tell the time
tell a story
Bunun yanında ‘say something to somebody’ kullanımı da mevcuttur:
- Emily said goodbye to me and left.
- What did you say to the police?
“Tell/ask somebody to do” Kullanımı
Reported Speech ile birlikte fiilleri mastar haliyle kullanabiliriz. Bu daha çok emir ve istekte bulunulduğunda kullanılır.
Direct: ‘Stay in bed for a few days,’ the doctor said to me.
Reported: The doctor told me to stay in bed for a few days.
Direct: ‘Don’t shout,’ I said to Jim.
Reported: I told Jim not to shout.
Direct: ‘Please don’t tell anybody what happened,’ Ann said to me.
Reported: Ann asked me not to tell anybody what (had) happened.
Aşağıda say ve tell kullanılmış örnek cümleleri inceleyelim:
- Terry said goodbye to me and left.
- Tell us about your holiday. Did you have a nice time?
- Don’t just stand there! Say something!
- I wonder where Sue is. She said she would be here at 8 o’clock.
- Jack told me that he was fed up with his job.
- The doctor said that I should rest for at least a week.
- Don’t tell anybody what I said It’s a secret just between us.
- ‘Did she tell you what happened?’ ‘No, she didn’t say anything to me.’
- George couldn’t help me. He told me to ask Kate.
- George couldn’t help me. He said to ask Kate.
Aşağıda direct speech cümleler verilmiş. Bu cümleleri kullanarak reported speech cümleler kuracağız.
- Hurry up!
- Please slow down!
- Don’t worry, Sue.
- Do you think you could give me a hand, Tom?
- Can you open your bag, please?
- Could you repeat what you said, please?
- Don’t wait for me if I’m late.
- Will you marry me?
- Mind your own business.
- 1- Bill was taking a long time to get ready, so I told him to hurry up.
2- Sarah was driving too fast, so asked her to slow down.
3- Sue was very pessimistic about the situation. I told her not to worry.
4- I couldn’t move the piano alone, so I asked Tom to give me a hand.
5- The customs officer looked at me suspiciously and asked me to open my bag.
6- I had difficulty understanding him, so I asked asked him to repeat what he (had) said.
7- I didn’t want to delay Ann, so I told her not to wait for me if I was late.
8- John was very much in love with Marry, so he asked her to marry him.
9- He started asking me personal questions, so I told him to mind his own business.